Independent Practitioner’s Limited Assurance Report
To Volkswagen AG, Wolfsburg
We have been engaged to perform a limited assurance engagement on five environmental performance indicators of the production (hereafter the “five Environmental Performance Indicators”) marked with “” in the online version of the Sustainability Report* (hereafter the “Report”) of the Volkswagen AG, Wolfsburg (hereafter the “Company”), for the period from January 1st to December 31st 2015.
Company’s Management is responsible for the preparation and presentation of the Report in accordance with the criteria as set out in the G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (hereafter the “GRI-Criteria”) and for the selection of the information to be assessed.
This responsibility includes the selection and application of appropriate methods to prepare the Sustainability Report as well as the use of assumptions and estimates for individual sustainability disclosures which are reasonable in the circumstances. Furthermore, the responsibility includes designing, implementing and maintaining systems and processes relevant for the preparation of the Sustainability Report, which is free of material misstatements due to intentional or unintentional errors.
Audit Firm’s Independence and Quality Control
We have complied with the German professional provisions regarding independence as well as other ethical requirements.
The audit firm applies the national legal requirements and professional standards – in particular the Professional Code for German Public Auditors and German Chartered Auditors (“Berufssatzung für Wirtschaftsprüfer und vereidigte Buchprüfer“: “BS WP/vBP”) as well as the joint opinion of the Wirtschaftsprüferkammer (Chamber of German Public Auditors; WPK) and the Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer (Institute of Public Auditors in Germany; IDW): Requirements to quality control for audit firms (“Gemeinsamen Stellungnahme der WPK und des IDW: Anforderungen an die Qualitätssicherung in der Wirtschaftsprüferpraxis”: “VO 1/2006”) – and accordingly maintains a comprehensive system of quality control including documented policies and procedures regarding compliance with ethical requirements, professional standards and applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Our responsibility is to express an opinion on the five Environmental Performance Indicators of the production marked with “” in the Report based on our work performed.
We conducted our work in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) 3000 (Revised): “Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information” published by IAASB. This Standard requires that we plan and perform the assurance engagement to obtain limited assurance whether any matters have come to our attention that cause us to believe that the five Environmental Performance Indicators marked with “” in the Report have not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the GRI-Criteria.
In a limited assurance engagement the evidence-gathering procedures are more limited than for a reasonable assurance engagement and therefore significantly less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement. The procedures selected depend on the practitioner's judgement. This includes the assessment of the risks of material misstatements of the sustainability information in the Report with regard to the GRI-Criteria.
Within the scope of our work we performed amongst others the following procedures:
- Obtaining an understanding of the structure of the sustainability organization and of the stakeholder engagement
- Inspection of relevant documents and inquiries of personnel regarding the further development of the materiality process and the preparation of the materiality matrix as well as the underlying internal control system
- Inspection of relevant documents and inquiries of personnel regarding the data collection and consolidation of the Environmental Performance Indicators of the production as well as the underlying internal control system
- Conduction of site and brand visits in order to assess the data collection and consolidation processes of the Environmental Performance Indicators of the production:
- Brand visit Scania AB, Södertälje, Sweden
- Site visit Chattanooga, USA
- Inspection of additional documents and supporting systems
- Analytical procedures on selected sustainability information of the Report
- Comparison of selected sustainability information with corresponding data in the consolidated financial statements and in the group management report
- Assessment of the presentation of selected sustainability information in the Report regarding the sustainability performance
Based on our limited assurance engagement, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the five Environmental Performance Indicators of the production marked with „“ in the Report of the Company for the period January 1st to December 31st 2015 have not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the GRI-Criteria.
Restriction on Use and Distribution
We issue this Report on the basis of the engagement agreed with the Volkswagen AG. The review has been performed for purposes of the Volkswagen AG and is solely intended to inform the Volkswagen AG about the results of the review. The Report is not intended for any third parties to base any (financial) decision thereon. We do not assume any responsibility towards third parties.
Hanover, 22nd November, 2016
Frank Hübner Michael Conrad
(German Public Auditor) (German Public Auditor)